VA’s large team of nurses (100,000 and growing!) is doing an exceptional job providing a support system for new hires. Leadership goes above and beyond to ensure new nurses feel welcome and supported from day one.
When a new hire joins the team, leaders assess their needs to make sure the proper training and assistance are offered – whether that be through a preceptor, orientation program or residency.
For example, one of the ways VA sets up new nurses for success is through the 12-month Registered Nurse Transition-To-Practice (RNTTP) Residency Program.
Learn about the RNTTP Residency Program
- Evidence-based program to support transition into first RN position.
- Curriculum is based on the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education’s Standards for Accreditation of Entry-to-Practice Nurse Residency Programs.
- Comprehensive 12-month program to provide support for increasing competence and confidence.
- Includes didactic, simulation and experiential offerings to support development of competence and confidence.
- Preceptor to support transition from novice to advanced beginner RN.
Qualifications for the program
- First RN role and/or have less than one year of RN experience.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate state-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Diploma, associate, baccalaureate and/or master’s degree prepared entry into practice as a registered nurse.
- Current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a state, territory or commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Whether your facility enrolls you in the RNTTP Residency Program or not, VA will prioritize your needs as a new nurse. Ongoing training opportunities are always offered to support your career and development.
Find available positions
Find your perfect nursing opportunity at a location near you – VA medical centers are located across the country. Use this map to locate VA facilities and start your job search. Your facility will determine the best ways to kick start your nursing career and answer all your questions.
Apply to the RNTTP Residency Program
Interested specifically in the RNTTP Residency Program? Apply now.