The Posse Foundation developed a program to prepare Veterans for the college experience. The Posse Veterans Program sends Veterans to college as teams – or “posses” – to both give and receive support throughout college and beyond.
Posse identifies and supports post-9/11 U.S. Armed Forces Veterans who have tremendous leadership and academic potential. The program seeks Veterans interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree at top colleges and universities and who are excited to be active, engaged leaders within their “posse” and campus communities. The Posse Veterans Program cohort model, along with assistance and support throughout their academic careers, ensures Veteran success in college and, ultimately, in the workforce.
How it works
The Posse Veterans Program consists of four components:
- The Dynamic Assessment Process (DAP) is a unique, three-stage interview process that identifies talented Veterans who can succeed at Posse’s top-ranked college and university partners. We look beyond a basic paper application to assess an applicant’s academic and leadership potential.
- Pre-Collegiate Training (PCT) is a Posse’s one-month, intensive training program that takes place the summer before starting college. We bring Veterans and their posse together in New York City to focus on leadership development, academic excellence and team building.
- On Campus Mentor pairs a Posse’s Veterans with a tenured faculty member as a personal mentor, which provides a strong foundation during the first two years of undergraduate study (crucial to long-term success in higher education).
- Career Program places Posse partners with over 200 of the world’s top employers looking specifically for Posse Scholars as interns and full-time employees after graduation. Posse’s career program exposes Veterans to professionals in various industries and events designed to build networks and career-path knowledge.
Who is eligible?
Military Veterans or transitioning service members who have been, or will be, honorably discharged by summer 2023 and who:
- Have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree.
- Have served at least 90 days of active duty since 9/11/2001.
- Have at least one day of G.I. Bill eligibility remaining.
Partner colleges and universities
Each of The Posse Foundation’s partner institutions guarantees full tuition will be covered for all four years – even when a Veteran’s G.I. Bill, Yellow Ribbon and other government funding runs out. Partner institution financial aid policies provide excellent packages based on financial need to help cover costs of other college expenses. Posse’s four university partners are:
- Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH) case.edu.
- Texas A&M University (College Station, TX) tamu.edu.
- The University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) virginia.edu.
- Wesleyan University (Middletown, CT) wesleyan.edu.
How to apply and what to expect
To nominate yourself or someone you know for enrollment in fall 2023, please visit: www.possefoundation.org/veterans.
Nominees will be contacted for a first-round interview (as a group with other Veterans). If selected as a semi-finalist, Veterans will be scheduled for a second-round, individual interview with Posse staff. If selected as a finalist, candidates will interview for a third, and final, round with a partner school Admissions Team. Applicants will be asked to rank the four Posse partner schools in order of preference. Posse will make every effort to accommodate the Veteran’s first choice.