The Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) is proud to deliver commissary benefits to the men and women who served our nation and the eligible family members who supported them. To celebrate Military Appreciation Month in May, most DeCA commissaries will hold sidewalk sales to thank you for your service.
Sidewalk sales will typically be:
- Held over three to four days (one to two days at some locations).
- Designed to offer extra savings to customers.
- Located on sidewalks immediately outside DeCA stores, weather permitting.
While DeCA strives to deliver the best in service and savings for customers every day, Military Appreciation Month offers a special opportunity to help military community members save even more on a broad selection of quality products while highlighting our appreciation for their incredible bravery and commitment.
“We can never thank our military enough for their dedicated service,” said Bonita Moffett, DeCA’s director of sales. “However, at DeCA, we can ensure we do our best to deliver a commissary benefit with the quality and savings they deserve.”
Types of products available during the Sidewalk sale include:
- Snacks, such as nuts, chips and candy;
- Cold cereals;
- Beverages, including flavored water, juices and energy drinks;
- International foods;
- Baking and canned goods;
- Pet food;
- Non-food items, such as paper towels, toilet paper, wipes and cleaning products;
- Baby products;
- Health and beauty products.
To locate Sidewalk Sales at commissaries in your area, visit the DeCA Sidewalk Sales schedule. Use the commissary store locator for additional information available on individual commissary websites. Customers are encouraged to use these resources or contact store management for more details or updates. Likewise, overseas customers are encouraged to contact their local stores to explore specific promotions at their stores.
Sidewalk Sales are also available to disabled Veterans and authorized caregivers who recently became eligible to shop at commissaries (effective January 1, 2020, the Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018 authorized the Department of Defense to expand access to commissary shopping privileges).
Since this law took effect, commissary shopping privileges were extended to:
- Veterans with any service-connected disabilities documented by VA;
- Veterans who are Purple Heart recipients;
- Veterans who are former prisoners of war;
- Individuals assessed, approved and designated as primary family caregivers of eligible Veterans under VA’s Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers.
Learn more about commissary shopping eligibility.