On the eve of Veterans Day, VA in collaboration with Got Your 6 and local Community Veteran Engagement Boards, will host a nationwide series of StorytellersX events in November and December, featuring Veterans sharing their stories of post-military life.
Adapted from Got Your 6’s national Storytellers programs — which have included a former VA secretary, elected officials, filmmakers, entrepreneurs and educators — StorytellersX events are TEDx-type local activities featuring key Veterans connecting Veterans with their communities, all to help bridge the civilian-military divide.
“Research shows that the percentage of Americans who currently serve in the military is at its lowest point in history,” said VA Secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “StorytellersX will showcase the exemplary talents and experiences of some of our nation’s brightest Veterans and shift the conversation to more accurate perceptions of Veterans. The reality is that most Veterans are exceptional citizens with life experiences that few understand. Veterans vote and volunteer more and serve their communities at higher rates than their civilian counterparts.”
During StorytellersX, audiences will hear Veterans share how military service prepared them for civilian life and personal and professional success. The 2017 StorytellersX dates and locations are:
- Hebron, Connecticut — 9-5 p.m. Nov. 4, Easter Seals Camp Hemlocks, 85 Jones St., Amston, Connecticut
- Montpelier, Maine — 6-7:30 p.m. Nov. 7, The General Henry Knox Museum, 30 High St., Thomaston, Maine
- Colorado Springs, Colorado — 3-5 p.m. Nov. 9, Mount Carmel Center of Excellence, 530 Communication Circle, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Lake County-McHenry County, Illinois; — 4-5 p.m. Nov. 15, Grayslake, Illinois
- Marion, Illinois — 6-7 p.m. Nov. 9, Varsity Theater in Carbondale, 418 S. Illinois Ave., Carbondale, Illinois
- Mooresville, North Carolina — 4-5 p.m. Nov. 9, 215 N. Main St., Mooresville, North Carolina
- New York, New York — 3-5 p.m. Nov. 11, 4 W. 43rd St., New York, New York
- Grand Junction, Colorado —3-5 p.m. Nov. 11, Avalon Theater, 645 Main St., Grand Junction, Colorado
- Cleveland, Ohio — 3-6 p.m. Nov. 17, American Red Cross of Northeast Ohio, Myers Room, 3747 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, and
- Tucson, Arizona —8 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 8, Military/Veteran Community Network-Southern Arizona 4th annual Community Summit University of Arizona, 1303 E. University Blvd., Tucson, Arizona.
Additional events, updates and live video streams can be found on the StorytellersX page here on Vantage Point.