Cpl. Earl LaPan, a World War II U.S. Army Air Corps Veteran, created hundreds of works of art displayed across South Florida.  He became an accomplished artist early in life, beginning his career in New Jersey before moving to Florida in 1933.  His paintings filled hotels in Miami and other areas of South Florida; many of them are still on display today.

Photograph of The Mariner statue in Riviera Beach, Florida

Earl LaPan’s statue, The Mariner”, located in Phil Foster Park in Riviera Beach, Florida.

His work as an artist came to a brief pause during World War II when he entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in October 1943.  When the war ended, LaPan returned to Florida and resumed creating works of art.  He began designing sculptures to go on display throughout the region.

LaPan created an iconic piece in 1962 for First Federal Bank in Lake Park, Florida.  The sculpture depicted two bucking horses, each standing at 10 feet tall.  It became a notable landmark and earned First Federal Bank the nickname of “horse bank.”  By 2005, the sculpture’s condition had deteriorated and was in need of repair.  However, before repairs began one of the horses fell during a storm, prompting a complete replacement of the piece within a year.

He finished his most notable statue, The Mariner,” in 1978 for the First Marine Bank.  The 14-foot statue is modeled after the bank’s founder, Jerry Thomas, who served as Florida Senate President.  The bank closed five years later in 1983, and the statue was moved to Phil Foster Park in Riviera Beach, Florida where it remains today.

Earl LaPan passed away at the age of 97 on February 19, 1996.  Today, he is memorialized at Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, Florida.

Photograph of grave marker for Cpl. Earl J. LaPan at Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, Florida.

Grave marker for Cpl. Earl J. LaPan at Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, Florida.

In 2017, the Veterans Legacy Program partnered with University of Central Florida to conduct research on Veterans interred in Florida National Cemetery.  Students and faculty created over 100 biographies for Veterans to share their stories, one of whom was Cpl. Earl LaPan.  You can read his biography here: https://vlp.cah.ucf.edu/biographies/BMD-0-7-F.html

To learn more about the Veterans Legacy Program, our partnerships, and how we share the stories of Veterans in our national cemeteries please visit https://www.cem.va.gov/legacy/

Please join us in honoring Cpl. Earl LaPan.  We commemorate our Veterans to ensure that their memory never fades and that their legacy never dies.

Leonetti highlighted in a photo of of Company G, 105th Regiment. The 27th Division parades through New York City in the background.Veterans Legacy Program: Maj. Charles Leonetti, Italian immigrant, Veteran of both World Wars, and well-known New York artist
Rear Admiral George L. Russell, USN, (Judge Advocate General of the Navy) Swears in the first six women in the Regular Navy while the Secretary of the Navy John L. Sullivan, far left, looks on. Captain Joy B. Hancock, Director of the Womans Reserve, is next to RADM Russell, July 7, 1948. The first six enlisted women are: Front row: (left to right) Chief Yeoman Wilma J. Marchal, USN; Yeoman Second Class Edna E. Young, USN; Hospital Corpsman First Class Ruth Flora, USN. Second row: (left to right) Aviation Storekeeper First Class Kay L. Langen, USN; (hidden behind the front row): Storekeeper Second Class Frances T. Devaney, USN; and Teleman Doris R. Robertson, USN. Photo courtesy of NHHC.The Yeoman (F) Program and the Legacy of Women Veterans

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

2 Comments

  1. Catherine Nau September 25, 2018 at 7:32 pm

    Thank GOD that these Veterans are not forgotten!

  2. Catherine Nau September 25, 2018 at 7:26 pm

    Thank GOD that these Veterans are not forgotten!

Comments are closed.

You Might Also Be Interested in These Articles