Every day, the Veterans Crisis Line receives calls and texts from Veterans and active duty personnel seeking confidential assistance. Since 2007, caring, qualified responders–many of whom are Veterans–have helped more than 3 million Veterans or family members through critical moments.
You can be part of this team making a difference in the lives of those who have served by applying for one of 40 call center position vacancies in Canandaigua, NY, and Topeka, Kan.
“Veterans Crisis Line Responders use evidence-based practices to diffuse situations that put Veterans’ lives at risk,” said Darren Sherrard, Associate Director of Recruitment Marketing at VA. “This close-knit team is a lifeline to Veterans and military personnel in need.”
Choose VA for the mission
As a Health Science Specialist–Veterans Crisis Line Responder–you take calls, texts and chats from Veterans and active duty personnel and their friends and family members. You provide risk assessments and take other actions related to callers’ potential for death by suicide or homicide, letters sent to government agencies and other referral needs.
Potential candidates should have a bachelor’s or higher level degree, with coursework heavily focused on psychology, mental health counseling and/or the provision of social services.
Choose VA for the benefits
VA health professionals benefit from knowledge gathered and shared by the VA National Center for PTSD, the world’s leading research and educational center of excellence on post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic stress. The center synthesizes VA and external scientific research to promote better understanding, diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues.
A VA career as a Veterans Crisis Line Responder also includes:
- From 13 to 26 days of paid time off per year.
- 13 sick days annually with no limit on accumulation.
- 10 paid federal holidays.
- Premium-support group health insurance, including dental, vision and long-term care, which may become effective on the first full pay period after you start.
- Access to the Federal Employees Retirement System, a three-tier retirement plan that includes Social Security, a defined benefit plan (pension) after only five years of vesting and a 401(k)-type plan with up to 5% in employer contributions.
Choose VA today
- APPLY for an open Health Science Services – Veterans Crisis Line Responder position.
- EXPLORE the benefits of VA career.
- LEARN how to Choose VA at www.VAcareers.va.gov.