On this episode of Borne the Battle, Air Force Veteran Jackson Henderson shares his transition story and becoming an Electrical Maintenance Technician.
Henderson was influenced by two of his friends to join the military, and he would soon develop relevant technical skills that he would carry with him to his future careers. He discusses serving his entire enlistment in Minot, North Dakota, the importance of maintaining friendships while serving in the military and transitioning into civilian life.
Recently, Henderson left the Air Force, and landing a job was not an easy task. He shares about searching for and applying to various jobs, talks about how he was invited to attend the Rockwell Automation Academy of Advanced Manufacturing Program, and emphasizes the importance of putting your name out there through various websites that help Veterans find jobs.
What is the Rockwell AAM program? Henderson details the available course opportunities within the program and offers advice to transitioning service members on how they can find employment opportunities through the program, emphasizing the importance of trade schools and their value.
Henderson then talks about how he found his current job through the AAM program, what it’s like working in the manufacturing sector, the future of automation, and how a Veteran who does not have technical experience can gain experience to improve their job prospects.
Finally, he offers advice to transitioning service members on they can find employment opportunities.
#BtBattle Veteran of the Week:
- Army Veteran Henry Johnson
- Veterans Trainee Program – Experis
- Rockwell and ManpowerGroup collaborate to train veterans for high-tech jobs
- Rockwell Automation Looks to Veterans as the Future IoT Workforce
- VA administers 1 million COVID-19 doses, publishes facility vaccination numbers
- VA advances medical research for minority Veterans with new genomic tool
- VA offers millions in grant funding for adaptive sports to support disabled Veterans
Michaela Yesis is a podcast volunteer with VA’s Digital Media Engagement Team. She recently graduated from George Mason University with a BA in English.