According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, about 1.3 million Veterans live in households that participate in SNAP (formerly food stamps). In every state, thousands of low-income Veterans use SNAP to help put food on the table.
What is SNAP EBT?
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is offered through the USDA (Department of Agriculture) and provides nutrition benefits to supplement the food budget of needy families so they can purchase healthy food and move towards self-sufficiency.
Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) is an electronic system that allows a SNAP participant to pay for food using SNAP benefits. When a participant shops at a SNAP authorized retail store, their EBT account is debited to reimburse the store for food that was purchased.
Customers with a valid SNAP EBT card can use their SNAP benefits to shop for groceries on Amazon Fresh and Amazon.com groceries in 45 states plus the District of Columbia. Amazon is working alongside the USDA to expand acceptance of Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine and Montana SNAP benefits. Customers can click here for Frequently Asked Questions and updates on their state’s acceptance.
Amazon is proud to offer SNAP EBT acceptance, competitive prices, wide selection, and free shipping options to improve the grocery shopping experience. Customers can shop SNAP-eligible groceries on Amazon Grocery (shelf-stable foods and household items in varying sizes) and Amazon Fresh (fresh produce, meat, dairy, and more) in eligible regions. SNAP recipients can also get free access to Amazon Fresh and exclusive discounts on essential items, with no membership fees. Additionally, EBT cardholders qualify for 50% off a Prime membership.
- Free access to Amazon Fresh: SNAP customers receive access to Amazon Fresh in most metropolitan regions without Prime membership fees. Amazon Fresh delivers perishable, shelf-stable, and household products in everyday package sizes. Visit Amazon.com/AmazonFresh to see if delivery or pickup is available in your area.
- Free delivery available: Customers receive free shipping on orders of $25 or more on Amazon Grocery and $35 or more ($50 in New York City) on Amazon Fresh. Both SNAP-eligible and non-SNAP eligible items in customers’ carts will count towards order minimums.
- Exclusive deals: EBT customers receive exclusive discounts on produce, grocery staples, and other essential items. Amazon is consistently updating offers from popular brands, such as Quaker Oats, Campbell Soup, Kraft-Heinz, Fresh Brand, and more.
- 50% off Prime membership: Amazon Prime is just $5.99/month (typically $12.99/month) for qualifying EBT and government assistance recipients. Prime members get free delivery on millions of items, Prime-exclusive discounts, access to Prime Video and Amazon Music, and more. Prime membership is not required to take advantage of the benefits above. Sign up here for the discounted Amazon Prime Membership.
Customers can follow the steps below to register their SNAP EBT card on Amazon:
1. Click here to visit Amazon.com/SNAP.
2. Create an Amazon account or sign in if you’re already an Amazon customer.
3. Follow the on screen instructions to add a valid SNAP EBT card.
4. Start shopping!
Customers can visit Amazon.com/SNAP for more information. For issues with registration, orders, or anything else, customers can use Amazon’s 24/7 customer service. They can go to www.amazon.com/customerservice, or call 1-888-280-4331.
The sharing of any non-VA information does not constitute an endorsement of products and services on part of VA.