After the passing of a loved one who has served this country, many survivors do not know what to do or where to begin to obtain VA assistance. VA has prepared a Survivors and Burial Benefits kit to help guide Veterans, service members and their families after the loss of a loved one.
The VA Survivors and Burial Benefits Kit gives a description of each burial benefit, instructions on how to apply, and where to go to get assistance.
- Pre-need eligibility for National Cemetery burial or memorialization
- Memorial or burial flags
- Government headstones or markers
- Presidential Memorial Certificates (PMC)
- Burial benefits and burial automatic payments
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
- Survivors pension
- Special monthly pension benefits
- The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMP-VA)
- Home loan guaranty
- Veterans Month of Death benefits
- VA life insurance
Other features include tips on how to fill out applications with examples of completed forms. These tips examples give applicants a better understanding of how to properly fill out applications.
VA encourages Veterans and service members to discuss their military service with their dependents, as well as planning their legacy. Families and survivors should know where to locate service medical records, discharge documents, VA disability ratings, and other information. These details will be beneficial to survivors as they prepare to apply for VA benefits. Families and survivors should keep this kit in storage so that it will be available when needed. The kit is available for download here.
*Please do not reply with personal information, home addresses or Social Security numbers in the comments section. If you cannot download a copy from the links above, please call 1-800-827-1000. The VA phone representative will need the Veteran file number to generate the request in our system.
Kenyonna Power is a program analyst in VBA’s Office of Outreach and Engagement.