Physicians are essential to the world-class care we provide at VA. At the only integrated nationwide health care system in the U.S., they are key to helping Veterans thrive in life after military service – and we make sure that hard work is recognized and honored throughout their career with us.
Right now, there are hundreds of rewarding physician jobs open across VA. Each month as part of our celebration of VHA’s 75th anniversary, we’re highlighting critically needed occupations like these.
As a VA physician, you’ll support a mission that you can’t find anywhere else – providing first-rate health care to the men and women who have bravely served their country.
“I have never worked in a career as rewarding as this. It is an absolute honor to take care of Veterans and it’s what motivates me to return each day,” said Dr. Michael Ward, MD, an emergency physician at the Tennessee Valley Healthcare System’s Nashville campus.
To provide the best care possible, we’re constantly innovating and evolving. Our physicians receive unparalleled opportunities to help us improve the delivery of health care, connect with patients, enjoy the science of medicine and grow as professionals. You can advance your education, mentor and be mentored, conduct research and move into executive roles.
“The true benefit of a VA career is the opportunity to grow your clinical and extra-clinical skill sets through opportunities in education, administration and research,” said Dr. Neil Patel, MD, clinical chief of emergency medicine at the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System.
Not only is the job second-to-none, but the benefits are unbeatable too. You’ll receive competitive pay that adds to the satisfaction of a career based on giving back to those who have given so much to the nation.
Your strong starting salary will be based on education, training and experience, and you’ll receive periodic pay raises, incentives and performance awards as well.
“Rising pay ranges approved by Congress in recent years has allowed VHA to compete with the private sector in compensation offers,” said recruiter Hillary Garcia.
Other benefits include:
- Premium-support group health insurance, including dental, vision and long-term care that may become effective on the first full pay period after you start.
- A robust three-tier retirement plan, including Social Security, a pension and a savings plan similar to a 401(k).
- Generous leave plan that includes 26 days of paid time off, 13 sick days, 10 paid federal holidays and up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Ability to work anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico, American Samoa and Guam with one active license. In addition, benefits transition with you if you move to a new facility.
- One of the most comprehensive education support programs in the nation. We can help you repay student debt, reimburse you for tuition and help you earn free continuing medical education (CME) credits.
Work at VA
No matter where or how you serve as a VA physician, you’ll heal and care for Veterans so they can thrive in life after military service.
NOTE: Positions listed in this post were open at the time of publication. All current available positions are listed at USAJobs.gov.