Lauren Keenan is more than a great source of information at LinkedIn for Veterans. As a former active military member and a lieutenant colonel in the Army National Guard, Keenan has walked in your shoes.
Keenan, who leads LinkedIn’s Veteran employee resources group, recently sat down with Darren Sherrard, associate director of recruitment marketing at VA, to record a four-video series explaining how LinkedIn can help Veterans and military spouses. The series, which began airing in March 2020, can be found on VA’s LinkedIn channel.
Each video touches upon a different aspect of the job search and application process. At just a few minutes each, the videos are an easy way to pick up job-hunting tips from an expert on topics like:
- How to use the free premium benefits offered to Veterans and transitioning military on LinkedIn.
- Learning to sell the soft skills, like communication and teamwork, acquired during military service.
- How LinkedIn can help military spouses seeking employment.
- Determining which companies are the right cultural fit.
On the benefits of using LinkedIn, Sherrard noted that the platform makes it easy to connect with different individuals at various companies. “I’ve been able to have short conversations with people that I never would have the opportunity to meet at big companies, as well as billionaires and businessmen and generals. It really gives you an open door and a seat at the table.”
For military spouses, Keenan encouraged the use of LinkedIn Learning to close any skills gaps due to frequent relocations. Other resources are available through the Military Spouse Employment Partnership program, of which VA is a part. The program can help connect you with more than 390 affiliated employers who have committed to recruit, hire, promote and retain military spouses.
Work at VA
At VA, we already know what Veterans bring to the table. See why VA employees rank VA among the best places to work and explore a VA career.
- WATCH the VA Careers x LinkedIn video series. Video 1 | Video 2 | Video 3 | Video 4
- LEARN more about transitioning military personnel at VA.
- WATCH Tracey Therit discuss VA’s commitment to hiring military spouses.
- FOLLOW VA Careers on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn and Glassdoor.
- CHOOSE VA at www.VAcareers.va.gov.